I Need More Help


If you are a Victorian with a fair trading or consumer credit legal question, Consumer Action provides free legal advice to Victorian consumers by email and over the phone.

Email a lawyerUse our online form to send us an email.

Speak to a lawyer – Call the Consumer Advice Line and speak to a lawyer.

Consumer Action Koori Help – Click here to access the Consumer Action Koori Help website

Please note that Consumer Action cannot advise on investment or business purpose matters.


The kinds of legal help we provide

Consumer Action’s experts can assist with a wide range of consumer law problems, including disputes about:

  • defective goods
  • the supply of services
  • banking
  • bankruptcy
  • consumer leases (including “rent to buy”)
  • credit
  • debt collection and debt assistance services
  • door-to-door sales
  • electricity, gas and water
  • insurance (other than following road traffic accidents)
  • mortgages
  • motor vehicle purchases
  • refunds
  • telephone and internet
  • unfair contract terms


Everyday-Law.org.au helps Victorians understand the law and their legal system.  The site draws together easy-to-understand legal information into one location along with a range of other basic information about the law and legal system. If we can’t help you, perhaps Everyday-Law will have what you need.

Talk to a regulator, ombudsman, legal service or fair trading office – they can help you understand and assert your rights. And your experience can help them identify dodgy businesses, emerging issues and systemic problems. This knowledge helps create a better market place for all Australian consumers.

Ombudsman services 


Legal services outside Victoria

Ombudsman services

Ombudsman services are where you can take a dispute with a licensed service or utility supplier once you have attempted to resolve the issue with the provider directly:

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman
The Telecommunications Ombudsman provides a dispute resolution service for small business and residential customers who have a complaint about their telephone or internet service.

Australian Financial Complaints Authority
The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)resolves disputes between consumers — including small businesses — and member financial services providers. The Australian Financial Complaints Authority deals with a range of financial services disputes including: banking, credit, loans, general insurance, life insurance, debt services, finance broking, financial planning, investments, stock broking, managed funds and superannuation.

Energy and water ombudsman services in each state and territory resolves disputes between consumers and licensed energy suppliers and water businesses.

ACT – ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal
(note that ACT consumers may also complain to the New South Wales Energy and Water Ombudsman)

NSW – Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW

Northern Territory – Utilities Commission of the Northern Territory

Queensland – Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland

South Australia – Energy and Water Ombudsman SA

Tasmania – Energy Ombudsman Tasmania

Victoria – Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria)

Western Australia – Energy Ombudsman Western Australia


Regulators can explain your rights, take action against businesses and, in the right circumstances, help consumers resolve complaints. While making a complaint to a regulator may not always result in an individual outcome, it can mean the regulators are better informed about business conduct and take compliance and enforcement action where needed.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)
The ACCC can offer advice about consumer rights, resolving a complaint and, where appropriate, investigate and take action against traders. Further information can be found on the For Consumer section of the ACCC’s website, or by calling the ACCC on 1300 302 502.

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
ASIC is Australia’s corporate, markets and financial services regulator. It acts to ensure Australia’s financial markets are fair and transparent, supported by confident and informed investors and consumers. ASIC also has a consumer education website www.moneysmart.gov.au.

State fair trading / consumer affairs office
Australia’s state governments play a major role in enforcing consumer law and assisting consumers. State fair trading / consumer affairs offices may be able to help resolve your complaint and your experience can help them improve trading practices.

ACT – Office of Regulatory Services

New South Wales – NSW Fair Trading

Northern Territory – Consumer Affairs

Queensland – Office of Fair Trading

South Australia – Consumer and Business Services

Tasmania – Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading

Victoria – Consumer Affairs Victoria

Western Australia – Department of Commerce

The following organisations provide legal advice in your state or territory:




National Association of Community Legal Centres


Legal Aid QLD


Legal Aid New South Wales


Financial Rights Legal Centre


Legal Aid Western Australia


National Women’s Justice Coalition


Consumer Credit Legal Service WA


Legal Aid Commission of Tasmania


Hobart Community Legal Service


Legal Services Commission of South Australia


Legal Aid ACT


Care Inc. Financial Counselling Service


Northern Territory Legal Aid Commission

  • Was this Helpful ?
  • Yes   No